Simply put, digital stories are multimedia movies that combine photographs, video, animation, sound, music, text, and often a narrativevoice.
Storytelling and intercultural understanding
There are a number of ways in which storytelling can enhance intercultural understanding and communication. Stories can…
- allow children to explore their own cultural roots
- allow children to experience diverse cultures
- enable children to empathise with unfamiliar people/places/situations
- offer insights into different traditions and values
- help children understand how wisdom is common to all peoples/all cultures
- offer insights into universal life experiences
- help children consider new ideas
- reveal differences and commonalties of cultures around the world
Other benefits of using storytelling in the classroom
- Promote a feeling of well-being and relaxation
- Increase children’s willingness to communicate thoughts and feelings
- Encourage active participation
- Increase verbal proficiency
- Encourage use of imagination and creativity
- Encourage cooperation between students
- Enhance listening skills -source-
APPLICATIONS FOR DIGITAL STORY-TELLING;
Use Morfo on your smart phone to quickly turn a photo of your friend’s face into a talking, dancing, crazy 3D character!
Storybird is a visual storytelling community. A global hub of readers, writers, and artists of all ages. While creating your cover and pages of book,you can enjoy and write your own book!
This is an example of a trial I did on Storybird.
Tellagami is a mobile app that lets you create and share a quick animated Gami video.
MULTIMEDIA LEARNING PRINCLES
Coherence:People learn better when extraneous words, pictures and sounds are excluded rather than included.
Redundancy:– People learn better from graphics and narration than from graphics, narration and on-screen text.
Multimedia: People learn better from words and pictures than from words alone.
Voice :People learn better when the narration in multimedia lessons is spoken in a friendly human voice rather than a machine voice.
Segmented: People learn better from a multimedia lesson is presented in user-paced segments rather than as a continuous unit
COGNITIVE OVERLOAD THEORY
Dimenishing any unnecessary information in order to aid learning.
DUAL CODING THEORY
When they integrate both verbal and non-verbal information into meaningful construction. -source-
VIRTUAL FIELD TRIPS
A virtual field trip is a guided exploration through the world wide web. Ex;AROUNDER
This online travel magazine offers a huge collection of 360-degree with virtual reality.-source-
This application let the users reach the every part of the world with just one click!